Irregular Records Showcase
Robb Johnson's Irregular Records is the go-to independent record label for the very best modern songwriting.
Tonight we'll be showcasing three of their finest artists.
Mike Reinstein has been writing and performing songs all his adult life. Back in the 1970's he was in a band called Doris playing folk clubs and colleges. Following her demise, he set forth on a career path that included delivering false teeth, writing reviews for Melody Maker and City Limits, cold calling and being a dramatherapist on acute psychiatric wards. These days he works as a music teacher across Brighton in primary and special needs schools.
Roger Stevens' new album, The Position of Jupiter, delivers an eclectic mix of thoughtful lyrics, good melodies and more than a dash of Roger's quirky humour in an example of contemporary folk at its best.
One of the UK's busiest working poets (publishers include Macmillan, A&C Black, Frances Lincoln), Roger lives in Brighton and France.
"Roger's songs are contemporary, relevant and laced with a dash of humour... If I spent an evening with him in a folk club I'd reckon it time well spent."- R2 Magazine
John Forrester needs no introduction to friends of the club, being bass player in both Robb Johnson & The Irregulars and The Singing Loins.
As a solo performer he sings songs of travel, adventure, lust, discovery, friendship, love & weather.
"songs to captivate rousing and anthemic... an utterly accessible collection of subjective, openhearted, and honest musings, full of humour and humanity" – FATEA
For this evening a limited number of advance tickets will be on sale via we got tickets. Be assured that you will still be able to pay on the night but please remember to get here early. For online tickets go to www.wegottickets.com/event/337411
Admission £8 (£6 unwaged)
- Closed ~ May Bank Holiday
- May 7: The Rheingans Sisters ~ Fiddle-singing duo who play it like they mean it.
- May 14: Jimmy Aldridge and Sid Goldsmith ~ Highly acclaimed folk duo who play traditional and original music of the British Isles.
- May 21: Dovetail Trio ~ Familiar narratives and modern themes with infectious energy and a passion for musical heritage.
- Closed ~ Bank Holiday
- June 4: Stick In The Wheel ~ Local heroes!
- June 11: Rattle on the Stovepipe ~ A trio of master musicians on guitar, banjo and fiddle.
- June 18: Sally Ironmonger & Brian Carter ~ A superb songwriter with a voice that doesn't back down.
- June 25: The E17 Folk Street Party ~ Finishing off our season with our now traditional E17 Folk Street Party!