Whitechapel Noise - Politics, sex and religion in the Cockney-Yiddish music hall
This talk illustrated with vibrant, edgy and moving Cockney-Yiddish music-hall songs will tell the story of London's Yiddish music halls of the turn of the Twentieth Century.
Using sources from the Yiddish press of the day a picture will be built up of the structure and ambience of the halls. And through analysing the Yiddish lyrics in translation a picture of a bewildering and feisty immigrant life will emerge.
Expect to laugh, cry, singalong and go blimey that's interesting.
This is a very special presentation from Vivi Lachs who is well know to club regulars from her apperarnces in Klezmer Klub. Vivi is a social and cultural historian, Yiddishist, and associate research fellow at Birkbeck, University of London. She is the author of Making Multimedia in the Classroom and has written articles on education and Jewish history. She performs and composes music to London Yiddish lyrics. Her new book "Whitechapel Noise: Jewish Immigrant Life in Yiddish Song and Verse, London 1884–1914" was publiched by Wayne State University earlier this year.
Admission £8 (£6 unwaged)
For this evening a limited number of advance tickets will be on sale via we got tickets. Be assured that you will still be able to pay on the night but please remember to get here early. For online tickets go to http://www.wegottickets.com/event/451812
- Closed ~ Bank Holiday
- June 2: Woody Guthrie and Old Man Trump with Will Kaufman ~ The story of a folk legend vs a racist landlord...
- June 9: Clarke Buehling ~ The worlds leading authorities on nineteenth century banjo.
- June 16: Elizabeth LaPrelle & Sandy Newlin ~ An evening of utterly authentic Appalachian folk singing.
- June 23: Summer Singaround ~ Bring a song to sing, a tune to play or even a story...
- June 30: The Vicky Martin Memorial Street Party ~ Finishing off our season with our now traditional E17 Folk Street Party.