Najma Akhtar & Ramon Goose
British born, Najma's music encompasses World Jazz, Asian Underground, Delta Blues, Psychedelia, Rock, Western Folk, Celtic, Sufi, North African Blues, Irish Celtic nuances and more. Her bi-lingual Indian vocals create a beautiful marriage between the East and the West that is utterly compelling. Najma is probably most widely known for her collaborations with Robert Plant & Jimmy Page and Jethro Tull for which she received international critical acclaim including, David Fricke (Rolling Stone) who praised her ‘effortless artistry and emotional daring‘ and The Observer which described how ‘The pure soaring arc of Najma’s voice remains above emulation’.
Undoubtedly one of the most exciting and ground breaking contemporary blues artists, Ramon Goose is constantly looking to extend and expand his musical horizons. Having previously performed with the likes of Eric Bibb, Boo Boo Davis, Eric Burdon and Pee Wee Ellis, Ramon has been on a musical journey over the past few years discovering and channelling the sounds of Africa through his own unique filter. His recent album Long Road To Tiznit is the apotheosis of that journey, as old-school blues in the tradition of Skip James, John Lee Hooker and R.L. Burnside collide and meld with hypnotic grooves and melodies from the Sahara, telling stories of refugees and contrabandists, danger and freedom.
This evening's performance will provide a preview of Najma's forthcoming album, 'Five Rivers' which she describes as, 'a musical journey that starts in India on the banks of the Ganges, swims in the River Niger, explores the Thames, feeds the swans on the River Shannon before immersing itself in the Mississippi Delta searching for the shared reference points to be found in universal expressions of unrequited yearning'.
This is the hottest ticket in town tonight.
Najma Akhtar: http://www.najmaakhtar.com/
Ramon Goose: https://ramongoose.wordpress.com/
Note - this show replaces our originally advertised guests Peter Struijk and Liz Mandeville
Admission £8 (£6 unwaged)
For this evening a limited number of advance tickets will be on sale via we got tickets. Be assured that you will still be able to pay on the night but please remember to get here early. For online tickets go to http://www.wegottickets.com/event/435940
- September 2019
- October 6: Pat Lamanna & Steve Suffet present Pete & Woody - An Unlikely Friendship ~ Marking Pete Seeger's hundredth birthday with people who knew him.
- October 13: The Askew Sisters ~ Two of the foremost performers and interpreters of English folk music.
- October 20: Julie Felix ~ Legendary folk singer with a career stretching back to 1964.
- October 27: Andy Irvine ~ Never tire of the road.
- November 3: Hunter Muskett ~ Layers of acoustic guitars, a delicate beat and some lush vocal harmonising...
- November 10: Riley Baugus ~ Banjos, Ballads, Stories and Songs of the Southern Appalachians.
- November 17: Dana & Susan Robinson ~ Vivid songwriting and storytelling, with fiddle tunes and banjo grooves...
- November 24: Tommy Sands ~ Legendary singer, songwriter and social activist.
- December 1: Radical Yiddish politics in the songs of the 1880s with Vivi Lachs ~ An unforgettable multimedia presentation.
- December 8: Norfolk Broads ~ From dark tales of murder and seduction, to ballads of love and hope...
- December 15: Christmas Singaround ~ Bring a song, a tune or a story to share.