Najma Akhtar & Ramon Goose
British born, Najma's music encompasses World Jazz, Asian Underground, Delta Blues, Psychedelia, Rock, Western Folk, Celtic, Sufi, North African Blues, Irish Celtic nuances and more. Her bi-lingual Indian vocals create a beautiful marriage between the East and the West that is utterly compelling. Najma is probably most widely known for her collaborations with Robert Plant & Jimmy Page and Jethro Tull for which she received international critical acclaim including, David Fricke (Rolling Stone) who praised her ‘effortless artistry and emotional daring‘ and The Observer which described how ‘The pure soaring arc of Najma’s voice remains above emulation’.
Undoubtedly one of the most exciting and ground breaking contemporary blues artists, Ramon Goose is constantly looking to extend and expand his musical horizons. Having previously performed with the likes of Eric Bibb, Boo Boo Davis, Eric Burdon and Pee Wee Ellis, Ramon has been on a musical journey over the past few years discovering and channelling the sounds of Africa through his own unique filter. His recent album Long Road To Tiznit is the apotheosis of that journey, as old-school blues in the tradition of Skip James, John Lee Hooker and R.L. Burnside collide and meld with hypnotic grooves and melodies from the Sahara, telling stories of refugees and contrabandists, danger and freedom.
This evening's performance will provide a preview of Najma's forthcoming album, 'Five Rivers' which she describes as, 'a musical journey that starts in India on the banks of the Ganges, swims in the River Niger, explores the Thames, feeds the swans on the River Shannon before immersing itself in the Mississippi Delta searching for the shared reference points to be found in universal expressions of unrequited yearning'.
This is the hottest ticket in town tonight.
Najma Akhtar: http://www.najmaakhtar.com/
Ramon Goose: https://ramongoose.wordpress.com/
Note - this show replaces our originally advertised guests Peter Struijk and Liz Mandeville
Admission £8 (£6 unwaged)
For this evening a limited number of advance tickets will be on sale via we got tickets. Be assured that you will still be able to pay on the night but please remember to get here early. For online tickets go to http://www.wegottickets.com/event/435940
- March 2019
- April 2019
- Closed ~ Bank Holiday
- May 12: The Frank Burkitt Band ~ Swinging good times all the way from New Zealand.
- May 19: Robb Johnson ~ One of the best songwriters this country has ever produced
- Closed ~ Bank Holiday
- June 2: Woody Guthrie and Old Man Trump with Will Kaufman ~ The story of a folk legend vs a racist landlord...
- June 9: Clarke Buehling ~ The worlds leading authorities on nineteenth century banjo.
- June 16: Elizabeth LaPrelle & Sandy Newlin ~ An evening of utterly authentic Appalachian folk singing.
- June 23: Summer Singaround ~ Bring a song to sing, a tune to play or even a story...
- June 30: The E17 Street Party ~ Finishing off our season with our now traditional E17 Folk Street Party.