Finally we get the magnificent Moor Music back to E17!
Mark (Melodeon and Concertina) and Jason (Accordion) have been playing their instruments since childhood absorbing the unique Dartmoor style from their respective grandfathers Bob Cann and Jack Rice.
Club pal Rob (5-String Banjo) also learnt to play finger-style banjo from a young age and has since become one of the finest exponents of this once popular but now rarely heard style.
Playing in a way that comes naturally to them they have since become one of the best truly traditional acts, doing what they do, simply because they enjoy it.
Their concert performances include traditional Dartmoor tunes as well as tunes from further afield, all played in their unique Dartmoor style. As well as music they'll also throw in the odd song, banjo solos that have to be seen to be believed and also some Dartmoor Step Dancing, danced on a fifteen inch square board. On special occasions they're also joined by a forth member of the team by the name of Sailor Jan, a century old dancing jig doll who always steals the show.
Admission £8 (£6 unwaged)
On the majority of club nights you will be able to pay on the door although we do put advance tickets on sale. On occasion demand will be very high and the evening may sell out in advance or there will be limited availabilty on the door. Please check the website regularly for the current position on specific evenings. For online tickets for this evening go to https://www.wegottickets.com/event/498433/
- March 1: Tim Edey ~ A magical evening of music including folk, jazz, blues, celtic and world music.
- March 8: Union Jill ~ Historical themes and contemporary issues, personal experiences and protest songs.
- March 15: Wizz Jones ~ A guitar legend.
- March 22: Tom McConville ~ One of the leading fiddle players of our time - a world class act!
- March 29: Jackie Oates and John Spiers ~ An evening of enthralling music and humorous banter.
- April 5: Music Hall - it's evolution, growth and decline with John Cain ~ The story of the Music Hall
- Closed ~ Easter
- April 19: Moirai - Framed: The Alice Wheeldon Story ~ A 100 year old tale of fake news, family values and activism.
- April 26: Linda Allen & Kristin Allen-Zito ~ Powerful songs of hope and history, spirituality and death, love and whimsy.
- Closed ~ Bank Holiday
- May 10: Melrose Quartet ~ A stunning quartet that will take the roof off the joint.
- Closed ~ Bank Holiday
- May 31: Dan Walsh ~ Perhaps the best clawhammer banjo player in the country.
- June 7: Moor Music ~ Hardcore trad from the heart of Dartmoor.
- June 14: The Brothers Gillespie ~ Lyrical intensity and the sounds of soaring sibling harmony.
- June 21: Spring Singaround ~ Bring a song or a tune or maybe even a poem or a story to share.
- June 28: Street Party ~ Folk music, beer and ice cream!