Virginia based Sam Gleaves blew us away when we saw him supporting Peggy Seeger a while ago and we're delighted to be bringing him to E17.
Born and raised in southwest Virginia, Sam Gleaves performs innovative mountain music with a sense of history.
Sam carries on the ballads, dance music and storytelling he learned from numerous mentors in the Appalachian tradition including multi-instrumentalist Jim Lloyd and ballad singer Sheila Kay Adams. In 2015, Sam collaborated with producer Cathy Fink and released a debut record of original songs, titled Ain’t We Brothers, which has been featured by The Guardian, National Public Radio, No Depression, and The Bluegrass Situation.
"A stunning first album . . . I keep very few albums that I am given. This one’s a keeper." - Peggy Seeger
"One of the most beautiful albums I have heard in the last ten years . . . great songwriting, beautiful singing and brilliant musicianship." - Mike Harding
Admission £8 (£6 unwaged)
For this evening a limited number of advance tickets will be on sale via we got tickets. Be assured that you will still be able to pay on the night but please remember to get here early. For online tickets go to http://www.wegottickets.com/event/426434
- January 2019
- February 3: Damien Barber & Mike Wilson ~ Two of the finest exponents of Traditional Song in the United Kingdom.
- February 10: Delta Ladies ~ Hillbilly Trance...
- February 17: Laura Smyth & Ted Kemp ~ Strong vocals, tight harmonies and unfussy arrangements.
- February 24: Luke Daniels and Nancy Kerr ~ A stunning mix of contemporary folk music and inspired instrumental virtuosity.
- March 3: Erin Harpe ~ A fabulous evening of shit-kicking R&B.
- March 10: Pete Atkin ~ Some of the best songs ever written.
- March 17: Joe Solo ~ Thought-provoking, comical and punch-the-air political.
- March 24: Arrowsmith:Robb ~ An international evening of great song and tunes.
- March 31: Lisa Knapp ~ Pushing boundaries with her radiant interpretation of traditional folk music.
- April 2019
- Closed ~ Bank Holiday
- May 12: The Frank Burkitt Band ~ Swinging good times all the way from New Zealand.