Virginia based Sam Gleaves blew us away when we saw him supporting Peggy Seeger a while ago and we're delighted to be bringing him to E17.
Born and raised in southwest Virginia, Sam Gleaves performs innovative mountain music with a sense of history.
Sam carries on the ballads, dance music and storytelling he learned from numerous mentors in the Appalachian tradition including multi-instrumentalist Jim Lloyd and ballad singer Sheila Kay Adams. In 2015, Sam collaborated with producer Cathy Fink and released a debut record of original songs, titled Ain’t We Brothers, which has been featured by The Guardian, National Public Radio, No Depression, and The Bluegrass Situation.
"A stunning first album . . . I keep very few albums that I am given. This one’s a keeper." - Peggy Seeger
"One of the most beautiful albums I have heard in the last ten years . . . great songwriting, beautiful singing and brilliant musicianship." - Mike Harding
Admission £8 (£6 unwaged)
For this evening a limited number of advance tickets will be on sale via we got tickets. Be assured that you will still be able to pay on the night but please remember to get here early. For online tickets go to http://www.wegottickets.com/event/426434
- Closed ~ Bank Holiday
- June 2: Woody Guthrie and Old Man Trump with Will Kaufman ~ The story of a folk legend vs a racist landlord...
- June 9: Clarke Buehling ~ The worlds leading authorities on nineteenth century banjo.
- June 16: Elizabeth LaPrelle & Sandy Newlin ~ An evening of utterly authentic Appalachian folk singing.
- June 23: Summer Singaround ~ Bring a song to sing, a tune to play or even a story...
- June 30: The Vicky Martin Memorial Street Party ~ Finishing off our season with our now traditional E17 Folk Street Party.