Damien Barber & Mike Wilson
Two of the finest exponents of Traditional Song in the United Kingdom.
Raised in Norfolk and heavily influenced by such earlier Norfolk singers as Walter Pardon and Peter Bellamy, Damien is a stylish and distinctive singer, either unaccompanied or using guitar or concertina. Though he has lived for a long time in West Yorkshire he retains a strong East Anglian identity.
Mike Wilson is the youngest member of the Wilson Family, the powerful Teesside singing siblings who have raised the rafters at many a festival or folk club event. His musical heritage is emphatically that of the North East – rural and industrial folk song both traditional and modern.
Damien and Mike have a rich shared repertoire of traditional songs plus the work of modern folk writers such as Bellamy, Ewan MacColl and Mike Waterson.
It's always a proper night when these two come to visit.
Admission £8 (£6 unwaged)
On the majority of club nights you will be able to pay on the door although we do put advance tickets on sale. On occasion demand will be very high and the evening may sell out in advance or there will be limited availabilty on the door. Please check the website regularly for the current position on specific evenings. For online tickets for this evening go to https://www.wegottickets.com/event/459751
- January 2020
- February 2: Teilhard Frost ~ A multi-instrumentalist, specializing in traditional fiddle tunes, with a particular interest in the Appalachian Mountains.
- February 9: Mama's Broke ~ Original songwriting combined with folk traditions create a compelling performance, delivered with heart and raw energy.
- February 16: John Kirkpatrick ~ Master of the squeezebox, wonderful singer and glorious warm hearted performer of all kinds of music.
- February 23: Matt Quinn & Owen Woods ~ Infectious dance tunes from around Europe and Canada.
- March 1: Tim Edey ~ A magical evening of music including folk, jazz, blues, celtic and world music.
- March 8: Union Jill ~ Historical themes and contemporary issues, personal experiences and protest songs.
- March 15: Wizz Jones ~ A guitar legend.
- March 22: Tom McConville ~ One of the leading fiddle players of our time - a world class act!
- March 29: Jackie Oates and John Spiers ~ An evening of enthralling music and humorous banter.
- Closed ~ Easter