Radical Yiddish politics in the songs of the 1880s with Vivi Lachs
The Champion of Victorian Jewish socialism published scores of pithy, moving and strident songs and poems about London. Morris Winchevsky lived in the East End amongst the immigrant community and his lyrics fought the battles of sweatshops, child poverty and community disagreement. Vivi Lachs will tell tales and sing songs of Rabbis and tailors, helplessness and hope, Aldgate, Cheapside and Leicester Square. Expect to be entertained while discovering a vibrant and engaging history.
Vivi Lachs is the author of Whitechapel Noise. Her last talk with song on the Cockney-Yiddish music hall filled the room. She sings with the band Klezmer Klub and is currently translating Yiddish stories about London from the thirties and forties – yet another treasure trove! Whitechapel Noise will be available at a 20% discount.
Admission £8 (£6 unwaged)
For this evening a limited number of advance tickets will be on sale via we got tickets. Be assured that you will still be able to pay on the night but please remember to get here early. For online tickets go to https://www.wegottickets.com/event/481722
- September 2019
- October 6: Pat Lamanna & Steve Suffet present Pete & Woody - An Unlikely Friendship ~ Marking Pete Seeger's hundredth birthday with people who knew him.
- October 13: The Askew Sisters ~ Two of the foremost performers and interpreters of English folk music.
- October 20: Julie Felix ~ Legendary folk singer with a career stretching back to 1964.
- October 27: Andy Irvine ~ Never tire of the road.
- November 3: Hunter Muskett ~ Layers of acoustic guitars, a delicate beat and some lush vocal harmonising...
- November 10: Riley Baugus ~ Banjos, Ballads, Stories and Songs of the Southern Appalachians.
- November 17: Dana & Susan Robinson ~ Vivid songwriting and storytelling, with fiddle tunes and banjo grooves...
- November 24: Tommy Sands ~ Legendary singer, songwriter and social activist.
- December 1: Radical Yiddish politics in the songs of the 1880s with Vivi Lachs ~ An unforgettable multimedia presentation.
- December 8: Norfolk Broads ~ From dark tales of murder and seduction, to ballads of love and hope...
- December 15: Christmas Singaround ~ Bring a song, a tune or a story to share.