The Battle for the Ballot plus Steve Suffet
"The Battle for the Ballot" tells the story of how everybody in the UK came to have a vote. Using original songs alongside content from the collection of the People’s History Museum, this live performance crosses the centuries to show how the right to vote was won.
Beginning in the Industrial Revolution the story will take in events like the Peterloo Massacre and introduce the people – radicals, chartists, reformers and suffragists – who fought for the ideal of Universal Suffrage, which was finally achieved in 1928.
This educational, entertaining and thought-provoking show is focused around the song writing of Quiet Loner – the pen-name of songwriter Matt Hill – and the People’s History Museum Songwriter in Residence for 2016.
In support is our great pal Steve Suffet on a visit from the USA. Steve is a Greenwich Village folk singer of the old school - which is just the way we like it! http://www.stevesuffet.com
This is a special evening, we will only have floorspots in the first half.
Admission £8 (£6 unwaged)
For this evening a limited number of advance tickets will be on sale via we got tickets. Be assured that you will still be able to pay on the night but please remember to get here early. For online tickets go to http://www.wegottickets.com/event/415573
- December 2019
- Closed ~ Closed for New Year.
- January 12: Leon Rosselson ~ One of the most powerful songwriters to emerge from the folk revival.
- January 19: Matthew Crampton ~ A great evening of wonderful singing, stories and some real top notch silliness.
- January 26: Liege & Lief Night ~ A special night celebrating a special album.
- February 2: Teilhard Frost ~ A multi-instrumentalist, specializing in traditional fiddle tunes, with a particular interest in the Appalachian Mountains.
- February 9: Mama's Broke ~ Original songwriting combined with folk traditions create a compelling performance, delivered with heart and raw energy.
- February 16: John Kirkpatrick ~ Master of the squeezebox, wonderful singer and glorious warm hearted performer of all kinds of music.
- Closed ~ Easter